Thursday, February 26, 2009

Book Review: How to Draw and Sell Comic Strips for Newspapers and Comic Books by Alan McKenzie

Title: How to Draw and Sell Comic Strips for Newspapers and Comic Books
Author: Alan McKenzie ISBN: 089134-2141 Price: $19.95

While trying to make my own comic strip I decided that the first thing I needed to do was to do research and get my basics down. So here we go. My goal for each book is to read only the sections that I need vs. reading every page. Specifically I am looking for format and how to structure a comic strip / comic.

This book is a must read for learning how to set up a comic strip or comic book. Most of this book's techniques deal with traditional print publishing and some of the lettering information is a bit dated as most publishing houses by now would be computerized.

good coverage on the comic business and most importantly it teaches you the technical apsects of a comic. Part 2 mastering the comic strip (equiptment, basic elements, the story, breakdown, penciling, inkng, lettering. This book can teach you how to make a comic however the artistic and writing talent is your responsibility. No amount of format will save a mediocre drawing or writing.

No comments: